01.11.2014 18:48 h

Loan star Guidetti strikes again in Celtic win

John Guidetti's rich vein of form in front of goal continued as his solitary strike sealed a 1-0 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle that moved the Hoops up to third in the Scottish Premiership.

The Scottish champions dominated the first half but a well-disciplined Inverness defence limited the hosts to long-range efforts from Virgil van Dijk and Scott Brown.

However, it took just three minutes of the second half for in-form Swedish striker Guidetti to fire Celtic in front for his ninth goal in nine games since joining the club on-loan from Manchester City on transfer deadline day.

A nervy-looking Celtic then survived a late Inverness surge to record their third consecutive clean sheet in the league.

The Hoops, who have now won three Premiership games in a row for the first time this season, are just two points behind new league leaders Dundee United with a game in hand.

"I am very proud of the team as it's been four games in nine days and we've had four victories," Celtic manager Ronny Deila said.

"I think the first half was some of the best play we've had this season as I think Inverness are the best team we've played against so far in the Scottish League so I'm happy we won."

Inverness manager John Hughes felt his side could have got something from the game.

"We worked hard in training all week and I wanted to see it come to fruition. Probably the only time we lost our concentration was the goal," Hughes said.

A knee knock kept 'keeper Craig Gordon out of Celtic's starting 11 as Lukasz Zaluska was handed a rare start while Mubarak Wakaso replaced Callum McGregor.

Celtic soon established themselves in the match and a period of concerted pressure saw Josh Meekings block a shot from Guidetti before the in-form Swedish striker fired towards the target from a Stefan Johansen cut-back.

Wakaso then saw his curling effort deflect out for a corner as Celtic began to turn the screw.

Inverness earned some respite as they won a series of corners with van Dijk having to head off his line as Ross Draper's hooked effort nearly floated in.

The Dutch defender was then called into action at the other end as he stung the palms of Dean Brill with a fiercely driven strike from 30 yards out. Moments later, Anthony Stokes cut in from the left and flashed a shot just wide of the post as Celtic continued to press for the opener.

Stokes was then inches away from connecting with Guidetti's headed flick on before Brown drilled an effort inches wide as a frustrating first half for the hosts finished goalless.

However, it took just over three minutes of the second half for Guidetti to break the deadlock.

The Swedish striker collected a pass from Stokes and twisted and turned two defenders and Meekings before slamming a shot between the pair and past Brill for his ninth in nine games.

A quick breakaway from Inverness saw Graeme Shinnie's shot deflected wide before Marley Watkins' sent his effort from the effort high over the bar.

Substitute Aaron Doran's blocked effort then fell to Tansey at the edge of the box but the Inverness midfielder skied his effort.

Tremarco headed over from close range in stoppage time and Zaluska made a double save from sub Billy McKay as Celtic held on for the win.

Elsewhere, Dundee United moved up to the top of the table as they saw off St Mirren 3-0 at Tannadice.

Hamilton slipped to third after letting a two goal lead slip as Partick Thistle fought back to seal a 3-3 at New Douglas Park while Dundee recorded a 3-1 win away to Kilmarnock to end a five game winning run for Killie at Rugby Park.