14.10.2016 23:48 h

Centurion Miller gives Rangers edge over Inverness

Kenny Miller scored a stunning 100th goal for Rangers to give them a 1-0 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Premiership on Friday.

The 36-year-old striker, in his third spell at the club, got on the end of Lee Wallace's cross to send a sensational strike fizzing past Owain Fon Williams for the only goal of the game in the 22nd minute.

The win moves Rangers up into third place in the table four points behind bitter rivals Celtic -- although Rangers have played two more matches -- who host Motherwell on Saturday.

Rangers manager Mark Warburton was delighted to secure back-to-back victories for only the second time this season.

"It's a tough place to come. They're a very good team and their results lately have shown that," Warburton said.

"I thought in the first half we were very good and I think the players were brave on the ball. There is no lack of desire in this team."

His Inverness counterpart Richie Foran said he was pleased with his players despite their five-match unbeaten run coming to an end.

"We had chances to at least get a draw out of the game but Rangers had that bit of quality up top and it was a great finish," said Foran.

Rangers made two changes in the centre of defence as Clint Hill and Rob Kiernan were handed starts and the pair were posted missing early on when Greg Tansey swung in a free-kick from out on the left, but Lonsana Doumbouya, unmarked on the six-yard line, somehow sent his header over the bar under no pressure.

The visitors quickly recovered from the scare to dominate possession and an ambitious 30-yard effort from Martyn Waghorn wasn't far away before Barrie McKay sent a wayward shot over.

Rangers took the lead in the 22nd minute with a superb strike from Miller. Wallace galloped down the wing and swung in a cross which Miller met with a vicious volley that skipped past Fon Williams for his 100th goal for Rangers.

The Inverness keeper then came to the rescue for his side as he first denied another Miller effort before producing a superb save on the line to keep out Waghorn's cushioned volley from close range.

Miller came close to adding to his tally seconds after the break when he nearly caught the unsighted Fon Williams out with a curling effort but the Welshman got down late to push it round the post.

Inverness improved and Aaron Doran's miss-hit shot found its way past Wes Foderingham but Kiernan was on the goal-line to hook the ball clear.

Substitute Alex Fisher then missed a late opportunity to haul his side level when he sent his free header from close range harmlessly wide.