24.08.2013 19:11 h

Football: Leicester late show earns share of top spot

David Forde
David Forde

Leicester scored three times in the last 12 minutes to move joint top of the Championship with a dramatic 3-2 win against Birmingham on Saturday.

Nigel Pearson's team trailed to a 12th minute goal from Matt Green and Leicester had to wait until the 78th minute before equalising with a fine strike by Jamie Vardy.

Andy King put the hosts in front in the 82nd minute and David Nugent netted a stoppage-time penalty before outplayed Birmingham grabbed a last-minute consolation from Chris Burke.

Leicester's hard-fought win left them second on goal difference behind leaders Blackpool.

A 75th-minute strike from substitute Tom Barkhuizen earned Blackpool a 1-0 home win over relegated Reading, who suffered their first loss since returning to the second tier.

QPR, who came down alongside Reading, were 1-0 victors in the day's early game at Bolton thanks to a 54th-minute goal from former England striker Andrew Johnson.

The three leaders are a point clear of Nottingham Forest, who will look to go back to the top and continue the division's only 100 per cent record when they go to promotion rivals Watford on Sunday.

Leeds are on eight points after they recovered from an early deficit to defeat Ipswich 2-1.

James Vaughan scored a hat-trick as Huddersfield cruised to a 5-1 home win over promoted Bournemouth.

Blackburn romped to a 5-2 win over 10-man Barnsley at Ewood Park to secure their first three points of the campaign.

Chris Dagnall put the visitors ahead in the 13th minute but they were reduced to 10 men in the 16th minute when Jean Yves Mvoto was sent off.

Rovers scored through Tom Cairney, a Jordan Rhodes double, Joshua King and Todd Kane before Barnsley netted through Tomasz Cywka.

Rock-bottom Barnsley remain on one point, the same as Millwall and Charlton.

Millwall picked up their first point after Andy Keogh's late penalty rescued a 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday.

Millwall, who lined up in Wednesday's yellow away strip from last season in the first half after forgetting their kit, took a fifth-minute lead through Kamil Zayatte's own goal but they trailed at the break following goals from Jeremy Helan and Reda Johnson.

The south London team, back in their own kit for the second half, ended a run of three successive defeats for new boss Steve Lomas when Republic of Ireland forward Keogh slotted home an 87th minute spot-kick.

Charlton were trailing 3-1 at home to 10-man Doncaster at The Valley when the match was abandoned at half-time as heavy rain left the pitch unplayable.

Newly-promoted Yeovil's struggles continued as they suffered their third successive loss as goals from Johnny Russell, Craig Bryson and Chris Martin earned Derby a 3-0 win at Huish Park.

Brighton made it back-to-back wins with a 2-0 victory over 10-man Burnley.