14.12.2013 19:05 h

Football: QPR back on top as rivals share spoils

QPR returned to the top of the Championship with a 2-0 win at Blackpool, while promotion rivals Leicester and Burnley shared a 1-1 draw on Saturday.

Harry Redknapp's team knew they could steal pole position after the draw between Leicester and Burnley earlier in the day and they took full advantage of the opportunity at Bloomfield Road.

Former Blackpool winger Matt Phillips, who moved to QPR in pre-season for £5 million ($8.14 million, 5.9 million euros), paid back some of his fee when he opened the scoring in the 61st minute before Charlie Austin sealed the points in the 73rd minute.

QPR, looking for an immediate return to the Premier League after last season's relegation, are two points clear of second placed Burnley.

At the King Power Stadium, Leicester led Burnley 1-0 thanks to David Nugent's 14th minute penalty.

Burnley striker Danny Ings headed against a post before the break, but quickly levelled with his 16th goal of the season two minutes after the interval, burying a right-footed shot after Kieran Trippier's cross.

Third placed Leicester are one point behind Burnley and three adrift of QPR in the race for automatic promotion.

Derby's 2-0 win over Charlton at the Valley kept Steve McClaren's men fourth in the table.

Jamie Ward's first-half free kick and a late finish from Craig Bryson were enough for all three points.

Billy Sharp's headed goal guided Reading to a 1-0 win at Huddersfield that kept the Royals fifth in the standings and one point ahead of Leeds.

Matt Smith, Ross McCormack and Rodolph Austin were all on target as Leeds overwhelmed struggling Doncaster 3-0.

Ipswich's run of three-straight league wins came to an end at Nottingham Forest as the sides played out a 0-0 draw.

Former England defender Matthew Upson hit an 86th minute winner as Brighton won 1-0 at Middlesbrough.

Blackburn held off Millwall's late surge to claim a 3-2 victory at Ewood Park.

Jordan Rhodes put Blackburn ahead in the 22nd minute before Martyn Waghorn equalised in the 42nd minute.

Ben Marshall restored Blackburn's lead immediately after half-time and David Dunn made it a two-goal cushion with five minutes left.

Steve Morison's goal in the 89th minute raised hopes of a late comeback from Millwall, but Gary Bowyer's team held on.

Connor Wickham's 24th minute free-kick gave managerless Sheffield Wednesday a 1-0 victory at Watford.

It was Wednesday's first away win of the season and also Watford's fifth successive home defeat.

Andrew Shinnie's first league goal for Birmingham set the Blues on their way to 2-0 victory at Bournemouth.

Nikola Zigic's 34th-minute strike had the points all but wrapped up inside the first half.

Relegation battlers Barnsley and Yeovil fought out a 1-1 draw at Oakwell.

Joel Grant gave second bottom Yeovil a 10th-minute lead, only for Marcus Tudgay to secure a point for bottom of the table Barnsley with a 34th minute penalty.